Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Side, Cauliflower: Mock Mashed Taters

Ingredients:

  • 1 head of Cauliflower
  • 2 Tbspn of Butter
  • 1/4 cup of Whipping Cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Dash of paprika

Preparation:

  • Cut the cauliflower into flowerettes and boil until soft (not mushy, just soft).
  • Drain and add to a food processor or blender with the butter.
  • Process until it gets somewhat smooth and slowly add whipping cream. You may need a little more or little less whipping cream, depending on how soft you like it.
  • Continue processing until smooth consistency is formed.
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Add a dash of paprika for more flavor and some color.

Serving:

  • Serve as a side dish to meat.

Notes:

  • I was surprised at how tasty this was and how much it really resembled the real mashed potatoes in texture.

4 Comments:

At November 17, 2004 at 11:11 AM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

Dammit, this looks like Atkins bullshit.

And just because you're Hungarian, it doesn't mean you have to put paprika on everything!

 
At November 17, 2004 at 11:27 AM, Blogger Katica said...

Yes- It is low-carb (South Beach) stuff...but it's really good. I wouldn't post it if I didn't think others who are not doing the low-carb thing wouldn't like it.

And yes - I do have to put paprika on everything! It's a great spice that many people don't understand. I understand it.

 
At November 18, 2004 at 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had this too and I liked it.
I'm really hungry now. I'm going to eat a cat leg.

 
At April 20, 2006 at 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great! I was looking for this recipe after viewing a Houlihan's menu and the mention of using cauliflower instead of potatoes for health got my attention. This recipe appeals to all whom aren't cook savvy. I'm not all that profiecient in the kitchen when it comes to steaming, etc... so it was great to see 1 out of 3 recipes given on the net for Mashed Cauliflower that didn't require steaming. Boiling I can do. I love food with touches of spice so the Paprika advise was a plus. Thanks! Kandace in Kansas 04/20/2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home